Sunday, January 30, 2011

Oh, the Joys of Parenting

(I am going to apoligize in advance; this is a long post with no pics, but keep going down to the previous posts, there are some new pics there).
I swear 1 to 4 church is ALMOST enough to make we want to become inactive. Cody has such a hard time being good in church because it is right in the middle of his nap time. Like I said two posts ago, he has two volumes: loud and louder. When he is just talking kind of loud in church I try to not make a big deal out of it, I figure he will eventually learn, but when he starts throwing fits and being sassy in his super loud voice, I just want to duct tape his mouth shut.
It is just so frusting because he can be the nicest and cutest kid, but nobody at church knows that because it is at the worst time possible!! (It probably doesn't help that he spent the night at Grandma and Grandpa's last night and I'm sure he didn't get to bed all the early.)
All last year we maybe had to take him out to the hall twice the whole year. Well just today, he got to go out to the hall twice. Bless the nice people in the other wards, but here we are trying to teach our kid a lesson, and he ended up getting candy both times.
WTH??
The first time he was out in the hall with Russ being in time out, and some very nice people give him a candy cane. So he comes back in thinking being taken to the hall is fantastic. A few minutes later he tells us "I want some more candy, I need to go to time out one more time." Of course we couldn't help but laugh, but we we're both thinking, "well, that was effective wasn't it?"
A little later he was coloring with the little girl, Taylor, that was sitting in front of us and he got all bratty about sharing his crayons. We tried to quietly explain to him that she was being nice enough to share her coloring book and crayons so he needed to share his crayons too. Well, he is incredibly tired and unable to listen to reason so he gets hauled out to the hall one more time. This time it is my pleasure to spend some quality time with him.
The other ward was just getting out so there was a lot going on and I was having a hard time getting his attention, so to be sure that I was getting the point across I told him I need to hear you say "I am going to share." Well this super nice lady hears all this and just starts laughing like crazy. She apoligized and said, "Sorry, I just remember having so many moments just like this one with my kids, I couldn't help but laugh. " So in an effort to help me get my point across she has her little boy share with Cody and give him a packet of Sixlets.
Before we walk back into sacrament I told him that I think he really needs to share the sixlets with Taylor. We walk back in with him waving his candy. Russ and I just laugh and shake our heads in disbelief. But, thankfully, he really did share the sixlets with Taylor and he told her that he wanted to share his crayons with her too. Thank heaven sacrament was finally over at that point and we told them they could continue to share in nursery (where we no longer had to deal with it).
Cody loves to go to church, he asks us at least 5 times a day, "Can I go to church on Sunday." So it makes me crazy that we get there and sacrament is the most miserable hour of the week. I just have to remind myself of what a very sweet lady in my ward once said when I apoligized to her for Cody being so loud. She told me, "Oh don't apoligize, we will take them anyway they come because we know this is where they are suppose to be." I honestly think that it is the incredible wisdom of this sweet lady that has kept me from just opting out of sacrament meeting.

2 comments:

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

It is so hard to be in this stage of raising children sometimes. You want some spiritual upliftment, but you spend the whole meeting playing referee. When Asher finally learned to whisper, it was a very happy day. Being in an older ward helps, because they have all been there and understand. They are very accomodating to the fact that kids are kids and they are learning something small every week they are there.

The frustrating thing for me is when there are parents who don't try and control their kids at all. I make/teach my kids to behave; so when someone lets their kids spit on mine and do nothing about it, I feel no guilt in telling them that it isn't nice to spit or hit or not share.

Everything you are doing for Cody now, is just what he needs. The discipline and the teaching will make life so much easier for the teachers who have him at church and school. You are an awesome mom!

We Krazy Knuts said...

Oh I totally understand! Just wait until Wyatt gets old enough to contribute. Our church is at the same time....no fun!
Of course, the kids went to church with my parents yesterday and were angels...didn't even make one sound, or move!!! Why can't they act like that when they're at church with me.
You're doing great! Fun times!