Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Our Trip to Pennsylvania

It was really our trip to Pennsylvania, Ohio, and New York. We decided to go see a few sites while we didn't have the kids so we could actually enjoy them. We plan on taking the kids back to the sites, but we probably won't be able to do all the tours and such.


Our first stop was Niagara Falls. We didn't go to the Canadian side in interest of time, but it was still really cool. When we take the kids back we are going to ride the fairy right up to the falls.




Next stop was Palmyra. We went and toured the Smith farm. This is an exact replica of the Smith home. We got to go inside and were amazed at how small of a house 11 people lived in.



We also walked through the Sacred Grove. I must say this was my favorite part of the whole trip. It was so peaceful and beautiful and you could really tell that it was such a very spiritual place.


My pictures got our of order, but this is upstairs in the Smith Cabin. The room we are standing in is where all the boys slept, and the room through the door is where the girls slept.




This is a picture of the Palmyra temple. We would have really enjoyed doing a session there, but since it is not a full service temple and we were limited on time, we decided we would try to go when we visit next time.


This is the Angel Moroni on the Hill Cumorah. It was amazing to know that at sometime the golden plates were burried somewhere on that hill.


We then spent a couple of days in Latrobe, PA (where the school is) and Jeannette (where we are going to live) figuring out where things are and looking at the townhouses we are hoping to live in.

Next stop was Kirtland Ohio. We went on the Community of Christ tour of the Kirtland temple. It was so cool to see the temple that the early Saints sacrificed so much for so that they could receive revelation. I can't imagine how hard it must have been for them to have to leave it.


We then went on the LDS tour of Kirtland and saw the Whitney store and saw where the Smiths lived and where so much of the church was organized.


This is the upstairs of the Whitney store where the Joseph and Emma lived for a while.


The store is mostly original, with very few updates and improvements.


I was impressed to learn that the missionaries in the area actually live in many of the original houses built by the early saints living in Kirtland.


Everything out there is so green!! There are so many trees and it rains quite a bit. It is very pretty, and I am excited to start our adventure out there.

4 comments:

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

This trip looks beautiful! I want to go back there, and now I want to even more. Your boys will have such an adventure living there.

Anonymous said...

These pictures are so cool! Thats neat you got to see all of this. :) The Smith's house looks so small... I bet its even smaller in person.

Kate said...

what a cool trip. I am excited for you guys. Sad that you are leaving but happy for the good changes it will bring in your lives.

Janalee said...

I am jealous, I have never been to the sacred grove and have always wanted to. What an oppurtnity and adventure you are about to embark on, I bet living there will be so amazing!!