Monday, June 20, 2011

Cody's Baby Birds

By far, the best pets EVER!!! So we have a little bird problem around our house, that is, they like to build nests EVERYWHERE they possibly can... guess that's what you get when you live in no mans land. So one day Russ was totally irritated when he found yet another nest that was on our light on the back deck and so he took it down. I heard him say "ohhh" in a groan. When he discovered 4 eggs in the nest he felt kind of bad, but I convinced him to put it back and told him that since he touched it the mom probably wouldn't even come back, but in case she did, we would just get rid of it as soon as the babies fledged.

Needless to say, the mother bird did come back and the eggs hatched about a week ago.... I think. So everyday I lift Cody up so he can see "his baby birdies."



I personally think they are kinda ugly little things, but like I said... best pets ever... all I've had to do is put a piece of tape over the light switch so we don't accidentally forget and cook the birds, and their mom takes care of them 100%!!

Kind of a funny story: The other night after we had put the boys to bed we went out on our deck to watch the Pleasant View fireworks. I looked over and noticed that we left the sliding glass door open, and in the interest of not having a house full of mosquitoes I shut it. BAD IDEA!!!! It woke up mommy bird (why she didn't wake up when we opened it in the first place I don't know) and she FREAKED out!! I wish I could have got a picture of me and Russ cowering at the other end of the deck as this 4 oz Robin is throwing a fit trying to protect her babies. Here we are, full sized humans, crouching down and covering our heads for fear that some little bird is going to attack us. We had a good laugh about during the incident and then again once we got into the house, but I'm not gonna lie, we were a little concerned.

1 comment:

Amanda Joy Petersen said...

Too funny:) My mom had some birds nests on her farm and the kids were excited. A raccoon got the nests and one of their chickens:(

I bet Cody is so excited to see the baby bird's (and the ducks:)